Pages

Monday, August 12, 2024

Initial Impressions 2.0 Blog: #29: Running or Robbery?, Camcorder Fails, Stuffing Dreams, etc.



1. I saw a woman running one afternoon this week. She was definitely a unique runner. She was dressed appropriately, with a t-shirt, shorts, and even some K-tape around her right knee. Okay so far. Then I noticed she was wearing a neck brace, and also carrying a brown paper bag in her right arm. Was she running? Or running away from a place that she just robbed?


2. Is it just me, or is the process of streaming starting to look an awful lot like cable television? With cable, you’ve got certain shows and movies on certain networks. On streaming it is getting more like that. This means that just like you do with cable you need more channels/platforms to see all you want to see. It’s like entertainment companies found another way to keep the ‘cord cutters’ paying through the nose.


3. There are numerous times I feel like I made a wish to be a writer on a Monkey’s Paw. In short, a Monkey's Paw refers to making a wish where it comes true but with some unforeseen circumstances. For me, my portfolio as a writer on its own is pretty good. Pretty good meaning I accomplish just enough to keep me chasing this dream, but not enough for me to fulfill the dream. Not saying I’m thinking of giving up, more that I am aware of the chase I’ve been on oh these last many years.


Me, wishing to be a successful writer/content creator.



4. I’ve been brainstorming the idea of turning this blog into a shorter video podcast. I finally broke down and bought a vlogging camcorder. I figured that would be a good place to start. The problem? Nearly all of these vlogging camcorders look identical yet have different accessories. I ended up ordering one I thought was close enough to what I wanted. However either I clicked on the wrong product or Amazon just said ‘They all look the same he won’t know,’ and sent me a different one. It didn’t have a microphone or battery charger. Plus when I checked my order this particular camera had a 2-star average review, the one I wanted was a 4.6 average. It has already been sent back.


5. I notice that every time I type in ‘food coma’ into my phone it wants to correct to ‘good coma.’ I guess if there is a such thing as a good coma it would be one caused by eating too much delicious food.


Food coma, good coma, it's all the same.



6. Waiting on UPS to pick up a package to return is very similar to the old days of waiting for the cable guy to show up. ‘Oh sure we’ll be there today between 7a and 5p better make sure you clear your schedule because we’ll knock quietly once and then run back to the truck.’ I was afraid to even go downstairs to check the laundry for too long just in case those 30 seconds were when the driver pulled up.


7. At the grocery store I was walking down an aisle and there were 3 teenage boys buying soda. One of them turned to me and told me how much he liked my shirt. I was wearing a plain black t-shirt so I thought he was being a smart ass which was fine I was a kid once too. Only when I passed by them again did I see he was also wearing a plain black T-shirt. There was no big ‘bro out’ but I did give him a nod of approval which is just as good.


8. Sad that this had to be said but to those who work in ICU at the hospital try to be nice to the people coming to visit their sick/injured loved ones. I get that it must be a tough job but nobody goes to ICU for a fun day. Yelling at me and my cousin while we chatted briefly in the entranceway was not called for. She and I were comparing notes about her very sick father (my uncle) and were essentially trading shifts of sitting with him. I wanted badly to say something to this rude woman but it wouldn’t have helped anything so I just left without saying anything.


9. I have to ask why do they not make Stove Top stuffing microwave cups? Rice A Roni has them, and Velveeta Shells and Cheese has them. It makes sense to do Stove Top next. Granted it’s not hard to make stuffing by just heating water but that’s beside the point. Also, I think if they did come out with a microwave Stove Top I’d balloon out like a whale with cups of stuffing, rice, and mac and cheese surrounding my easy chair.





10. I have been practicing French using Duolingo for probably a little over 2 months. I took French for 4 years in school and wondered how much of the language might come back. I can say honestly that reading, repeating, and writing French has all come back to where I feel pretty smart. However, actually speaking it is different. Not like I have any reason to speak French in my daily life but when I’m out I try to imagine conversations in my head and it’s tough. Does anyone out there who speaks, or is trying to learn, a second language have the same issue?

No comments: