Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Initial Impressions 2.0 #19: Unknown Savings, Jury Duty, Parking Lot Musician, etc.




1. I frequent 2 supermarkets, Stop & Shop and Shaw’s. Both have rewards programs you can enter that include savings on gas. Ironically, I only routinely use the points I get through Stop & Shop. The other day I finally thought I should check Shaw’s points and see what I could do with them. It turns out that I had enough to get 70 cents a gallon off of gas. I filled my tank for a shade over $20. I guess it pays to never check your rewards points.


2. Within an hour of driving on Cape Cod on Memorial Day Weekend I was already begging for Labor Day. From the lady screaming at me to pull out of a parking lot, despite there being a car directly in my way. Oh sure lady I’ll just broadside this car so you can get to the dollar store 2 seconds faster. A man driving ahead of me also decided it would be nice to randomly slam on his brakes to let someone make a left turn. Never mind the fact that there were no cars behind me so that same car would have been turning 2 seconds later. I know it’s not all tourists, but the number of idiots naturally goes up with the number of overall people who come to the Cape to visit.





3. Does anyone know if it’s illegal to drive your car down along the power lines? I’m talking about those dirt areas directly underneath the rows of poles that extend at least a few hundred yards. I cut through this one power lines pathway on my runs and saw a random SUV parked in the middle of this area with some guy sitting in a chair outside of it. Not sure if it’s against the law or anything but it was definitely weird and suspicious to me.


4. In the warmer months I could wash my car daily and it would still never be clean. First, because it’s a white car so it shows all the dirt. Second because the parking spot I have where I live is under some trees. This leaves the car susceptible to sap, pollen, bird poop, and even bug poop. I’d invest in one of those car covers but I feel like it would take less time to wash my car daily than to take that on and off.


5. I’m terrible at keeping in touch with people who mean the most to me. I fully admit that. It’s something I am trying to work on, including picking one person to text and check in with each day. However I also realize that telephones and email work both ways, so when I see, or don’t see, those same people reaching out to me I don’t feel quite as bad.


6. Walking through the supermarket freezer section I happened upon new Totino’s Breakfast Bites. They are basically pizza rolls just with eggs/sausage, etc inside. I’ve loved pizza rolls since I was a kid so it was only natural that I let out an audible grunt/moan of excitement when I saw them. The only problem? They come in boxes of 40. Meaning I’d eat all of them in one sitting for sure. Had to pass, for now.





7. I had my latest jury duty adventure this week. It started when I got my summons in the mail last week. Immediately I went on the website to try to postpone it only to be stopped since the current date WAS my postponed date from last year, so booo #1. The next thing I had to do was cancel my training clients for that day. I couldn’t take the chance of being called in for the jury and having clients show up to my work, but I was not there, so booo #2. Then I just said the hell with it and took the entire day off from my job. Of course at 5pm the day before I was supposed to have jury duty I got the email that I didn’t have to go in, so booo #3, but also I had an extra day off to do work on the podcast, videos, and this blog, so it’s a small yay.


8. I don’t know what it says about where I live on Cape Cod but there has been a bicycle leaning up against a tree outside of the gym I go to for about a year. No exaggeration, this blue bike has sat there for that long. Nobody has claimed it, nobody has taken it. It’s almost like it’s an experiment to see how long it will stay there before someone claims it as their own. I finally got around to snapping a photo of it, so now watch it’ll be gone before the next blog goes up.


Been there for a year



9. Sitting in the middle of a Stop & Shop parking lot I saw a man who appeared to be playing a saxophone. He had a sign asking for donations. The only problem was that the music he was playing also had drums, bass, etc in it but nobody playing those instruments. Also his ‘saxophone’ looked more like a Casio keyboard. Now I’m not saying he wasn’t actually playing a sax along with a pre-recorded beat, I don’t know since I didn’t care enough to go over and scrutinize his music. That would have cost me at least a $5 in his jar.


10. Irrelevant thing that I think about too much. Is Louisville pronounced Loo-eee-ville, or Loo-uh-ville? The person’s name Louis is pronounced Loo-ee, not Loo-uh. But I’m not from there so I don’t know the proper pronunciation. Much like people who come to Massachusetts and can’t pronounce Worcester, Leominster, Peabody, or Quincy. The most egregious one I ever heard was someone who pronounced Hyannis as Hay-nis. Like, really? The only thing heinous was their stupidity.


11. Product Review: I tried the Levia Dream Seltzer, it’s cannabis-infused. It was Jam Berry in flavor and for mellowing out. It tasted like a good raspberry/blackberry mix. I enjoyed it, the dispensary I went to said it’s smooth and mellow because it’s not super potent with THC. Although they did say if you chug it you might get hit a little harder. I spent an hour drinking it and felt great. I need controlled doses of any cannabis. If I smoke I go from ‘this is fun’ to ‘oh no this is an ordeal now’ in a flash. So drinks and edibles are the way to go for me. So yeah, if you like weed drinks grab one. Here is their website: Levia Cannabis-Infused Seltzer

No comments: