Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Initial Impressions 2.0 #14: Foolish Cars, Band Attacks, Grampa's Donuts, etc





1. I don’t know what made me laugh and shake my head more, an old Chevy Suburban with small tires so it’s a few inches off the ground or a typical sedan car with huge tires. Both are equally stupid and cry out ‘Please look at me!’


2. Hashtags on social media are supposed to help people find relevant content. #sunrise #food #weaselseatingstrawberries #etc. If you use a hashtag to basically write another sentence maybe just write that sentence. #wenttothestoretobuydinnerandforgotmywallet


3. I have been listening to relaxing music on YouTube before bed for many weeks now. It does help my brain start to shut off and get ready for sleep. The downside? Because I play these types of videos almost every night my suggested videos section is nearly all relaxing music. Literally dozens of videos that are almost identical. I don’t want to stop listening to the music though so I guess eventually my entire feed will just be calming music.


4. Only recently have I realized that I have had the same wallet for at least 25 years. Is this common? I don’t think wallets expire so I’d assume that people just keep them until they literally fall apart. Does anyone out there have a wallet they’ve owned for decades? Maybe I should finally get a new one even though my current one is still surprisingly durable.


Is it time for a new wallet?



5. A local supermarket had its automatic exit door shut off due to it needing repairs. There was a sign saying to use the entrance door and sorry for any inconvenience. The entrance door is literally 3 feet beside the exit. I appreciate the sentiment but if someone is inconvenienced by taking 2 steps to the side they might need to think about InstaCart.


6. From the 1 In A Million department. I was cleaning the gym where I work at the end of the shift. I had a thick red band tied around a pole and quickly grabbed it and pulled it as I was trying to get done before a meeting. Well, the band decided to slam me right in the nuts. I let out a nice gasp and a few groans while I held the pole to not collapse. All in all a great ending to the work day. Stupid band.


7. I am hoping that 5 years from now I am looking back on the New England Patriots drafting North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye with the #3 pick as a watershed moment that led the team back to prominence. However, I also thought that about Mac Jones in 2021, and now he’s in Jacksonville. Fun Fact: Of the first 5 QBs picked in that 2021 NFL Draft, only #1 pick Trevor Lawrence is still on the same team. All the other 4 QBs, including Mac Jones, have been traded. Crazy.


8. I am excited for a new location of Hole In One Donuts to open less than 10 minutes from me. There are 2 other locations on Cape Cod in Eastham and Orleans. The reason I will always have a soft spot for them is not just because their donuts are great, but because their first location used equipment purchased from my Grampa’s donut shop, Sullivan’s. When he had to close the shop in Hyannis in 1993 the four sisters who own Hole In One bought some of the equipment. Not only did they use his equipment, but they also made the donuts the way he used to. So to me, it’s like having Grampa’s donuts still after all these years.


Soon to be Hole In One(Google Maps)



9. My USB core to charge my iPhone was old, frayed, and shorting out. Needless to say I needed a new one soon. The cord was so bad it would flip from charging to not charging nonstop which drove me nuts. Especially in the car when it would affect my music. I finally had enough while driving. It kept shorting out so I yanked it out of my stereo and whipped the cord out of the window. Because it was the sane, normal thing to do.


Get out! Stupid USB!



10. Irony is the fact that when I got my last iPhone a few years ago I got a pair of those Air Pods earbuds. I prefer the big old-school over-ear headphones so I just tossed them in the closet. I don’t want to get funny looks at the library wearing huge headphones so now I’m tearing apart my closet looking for those damn earbuds because if I don’t find them it costs like $100 to buy new ones. Boo.


Subscribe to the YouTube Channel

No comments: