Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2024

Initial Impressions 2.0 #10: Photo Trip Day

#10: Photo Trip Day



1. For the first time since restarting this blog I actually took my camera and hopped into my car for a fun day of travel and photography. The plan was to get off of Cape Cod and head up the South Shore of Massachusetts. My best guess was that I drove a total of about 130 miles, not as crazy as my old travel writing trips, which tended to be 200+ miles, but still good nonetheless.


2. I actually began the trip by getting gas at a new Seasons/Shell store near where I live. The funny thing is that now with this gas station where it is, there are 4 gas stations on the same road within about 1/3 of a mile. That would seem a bit much even for a larger town/city but is major overkill for the relatively small town where I live. 

UPDATE: 1 of them has already closed in the time that I first wrote this so ONLY 3 gas stations within 1/3 of a mile.


3. Scusset Beach State Reservation is at the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal on the mainland side. It’s one part popular and one part out of the way. There’s camping, some hiking, and naturally a large swath of beach. It even is the starting point of the canal’s bike path so it comes highly recommended.


Scusset Beach



4. If you’re driving along the Massachusetts South Shore and aren’t in a hurry to get anywhere I would suggest taking Route 3A. It hugs the coast and keeps you close to many beautiful areas and attractions. I am always a fan of scenic routes anyway. I will admit though that there are parts of this road where there is absolutely nothing and I find myself tempted to jump on the highway for a bit.


5. I took the scenic route from Sagamore Beach north about 35 miles to Marshfield. I had one place in mind to shoot. It is what I can only describe as an abandoned lobster shack, only a bit larger, on this small rocky island in the middle of the North River. It’s near what’s called Damon’s Point and lies along what used to be a railroad thruway. Of course a picture’s worth 1,000 words.

The shack at Damon's Point in Marshfield



6. I often say I am more lucky than good when it comes to photography. This was proven again when as soon as I arrived at Damon’s Point a bald eagle from a nearby nest began to fly overhead. The photos are nothing earth-shattering, but still getting photos of bald eagles are tough regardless. I have gone to areas near me that are home to eagle’s nests and have never seen one, but totally by coincidence here I find them when looking for something else.


7. There is this really cool metal-sculpted dragon along Route 3A in Duxbury, Massachusetts. Apparently, the family that created it named it Draco. I have passed it a few dozen times and nearly every time I tell myself this is the time I will stop and take photos. Of course that has yet to happen. I’ll have to settle for this profile video from WCVB for now. https://www.wcvb.com/article/chronicleroute-3a-hes-duxburys-home-grown-dragon/8103426


8. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the town of Plymouth. I feel a deep connection there anytime I visit. Maybe it’s my love of the history but it feels like a second home to me. I typically enjoy visiting the National Monument to the Forefathers. This is lesser known and resides in what is basically a residential neighborhood. The granite monument stands 81 feet tall and is topped by the depiction of Faith pointing toward the sky. If you’ve never seen it check it out for sure.


National Monument to the Forefathers



9. I made this photo trip a dedication to the 1980s. This means you get outside and don’t come home until the streetlights come on. I took my time driving from Marshfield back toward Cape Cod. Luckily the sunset was worth stopping for next to the Sagamore Bridge along the canal. I feel happy with a sense of accomplishment after these types of long photo trip days. I just wish I could turn these passions into something more.


Sunset at the Sagamore Bridge



10. Photo trips like this have become increasingly rare, especially after COVID-19. I feel like I almost got used to being stuck in one small area for so long. I don’t know if anyone else can relate. I hope that over the upcoming months, I will regain that drive to do more trips since I love travel, photography, and then sharing what I’ve seen with as many people as possible.


Subscribe to the YouTube Channel


No comments: