Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Initial Impressions 2.0 #3: Relatively Normal, Hot Dog Skin, Snow Picnic Outside, etc.


#3: Relatively Normal


1. I took a drive to the closest Walmart(a 40-minute drive). While there I did several laps around the store. I think I was taking my time to see if anything Walmart-y would happen. You know what I mean. Sadly I was disappointed as even though it was crowded everyone there was (relatively) normal. Booo.


How I thought Walmart would look.



2. So much respect for the Kansas City Chiefs winning their 3rd Super Bowl in 5 years. Mahomes, Kelce, Andy Reid, they’re all worthy of being considered some of the best ever at their jobs. However...being from New England I just lived through watching the Patriots win 6 Super Bowls and Tom Brady has 7 rings, so any GOAT talk starts and ends with them still at this time.


3. I am at the age where I don’t enjoy driving in the snow, partially because I have a Toyota that doesn’t handle well with more than an inch or two of snow. However, all of that goes out the window if I am already out in the snow driving. Then I need to stop and get as many photos and videos of the weather, to hell with whether I am safe or not. Dedication to the Craft.


4. The first real snow Cape Cod has seen in 2 years and my shoveling experience went like this. Stepped out the front door around 4pm, within 10 seconds the neighbor had a tree fall, land on/near their car, and take their wires down. Luckily our power stayed on. Spent an hour shoveling 6” of heavy cement snow after foolishly doing an hour-long lifting session at the gym in the morning. Then after a beauty of a sunset, a coyote began running back and forth across the road from the woods to a neighbor’s yard and back. Just another story from the Seinfeld episode that is my daily life.


The pink-ish sunset after the snowstorm.


5. Having been out of the dating scene for several years I find myself now indifferent toward Valentine’s Day. I don’t hate it like I did for a while, but I also don’t really care. I hope those who celebrated enjoyed it, I hope those who didn’t celebrate (like me) had a fun Wednesday.


6. Driving in the sun after a snowstorm is tough on the eyes even with sunglasses on. It was so blindingly bright that I was debating wearing a sleeping eye mask and using the Force to drive home from work. Maybe next time.


Use the Force, Luke



7. This week saw the 10th anniversary of the first author event I did for my very first book. It’s still somewhat unbelievable that a shy introverted new author actually had people come out to the Osterville Library to hear him speak about something he worked so hard on. I still remember who was there and all of the moments like it was yesterday. My mother and three sisters were my backbone. My aunt and cousin were the extra sprinkles on the sundae. The topper was the fact that my Grampa, my hero and role model was so proud and so excited for my event that he was actually there before me and was waiting. I made a little video to commemorate that day: First Author Event - 10 Years Later


8. I am actually mildly surprised that people still use tanning beds in 2024 knowing all of the potential dangers. I saw a guy use one at the gym this week. I would think the fact that his skin looks like a three-week-old cooked hot dog might make him think about his choices but nope he must think it looks normal.


Time for another tanning bed session.



9. Have you ever had articles of clothing in your wardrobe that you honestly have no idea of where you got them? I have a couple of pairs of socks that I wear to bed in winter that I think just magically showed up one day in my drawer. I have no clue how I got them, but I do like them so that’s a bonus.


10. Sometimes you have to hold on to the hope/belief that when the time is right whatever you’re waiting for will happen. Whether a career break, a relationship, or something else. Still, as the years keep passing by you also are allowed to wonder if there is a such thing as a ‘right time’ and how long you should keep holding on to hope.



Subscribe to the YouTube Channel

No comments: