Pages

Monday, October 5, 2026

Initial Impressions 2.0 Blog #141: The Cabin Movie Shoot Day 4

 



1. This was the final shooting day for my feature film The Cabin. It ended up being the tale of two halves. The first half was an exciting last filming location, while the second half was driving - lots and lots of driving. It might have been the most I'd ever driven in a single day, at least in terms of time.


2. It was a Sunday. I needed to take care of everything at the motel I had called home for the previous five days in Mansfield, Pennsylvania. This consisted of packing thoroughly and carefully. If I forgot anything, there was little to no chance of me getting it back. I had a little more room in one of my bags because some of the clothing I had brought with me was used as the costume for the creature. Since it had been sliced up and coated with blood, there was no need for me to take it back home. I made sure to rearrange the furniture back to the way it was. I had moved a table to give me a setup similar to my desk at home. Everything was cleaned, the bed was made, and after checking for maybe the fifth time, I grabbed the room key and headed out. The manager wasn’t in the office, but he was at the top of the stairs, which led to his apartment on the premises. I made sure to get his attention as I dropped the key into the box. I didn’t receive any sort of negative email in the days after, so I assume I left the room looking fine. I sat in my rented Honda Accord and took a few breaths; the trip was almost over. I felt like I had lived a month in a week, and although there was still one shooting day to go, I already felt the dopamine crash that comes after you have an exciting experience and then have to get back to ‘reality.’ I pulled out onto the quiet Main Street as I had every other day that week, and made the drive to Mark’s house in the neighboring town of Wellsboro. I tried to soak in every hill and every curve, every shop and billboard, anything that might make a good entry in the blogs that would follow. Who knows if I will ever see that area again? If not, both Mansfield and Wellsboro were fine places to stay and spend a week.


Thank you, Mansfield Inn, it was a fun time.

3. I knew this final day was going to be something different from the moment I arrived at Mark’s house. On previous days, when I arrived, I parked my car in the grass next to his driveway. This let me leave at the end of the filming day without being blocked in or blocking someone else in. When I pulled up on this day, I hadn’t been there for more than a minute or two when Mark gave me the location where we were going on location to shoot. He said I could leave ahead of the rest of them to get some photos and videos. I enjoyed carpooling and connecting with the rest of the crew, but I was really craving some alone time, driving and playing the music I wanted while soaking in the new scenery. I took that chance. I punched in the location: Morgan Marine, Penn Yan, New York. Slowly, I pulled away and left Mark and his house in the rearview. It was time for our final rendezvous for The Cabin.


4. Each morning, when driving from Mansfield to Wellsboro, it was roughly 15-20 minutes of driving. I began this day with that drive. Getting from Wellsboro to Morgan Marine was about an hour and a half north. We were to be filming the final scenes of the movie on Mark’s boat and at a marina located on Keuka Lake, part of the Finger Lakes in New York. Things looked rough within the first half hour of the drive as the skies clouded up and it began to sprinkle. It was brief, though. The majority of the drive was beautiful, peaceful, and sunny. It made me wish I had some sort of GoPro, or other camera that I could have filmed the trek with. It was rolling green hills, small lakes, and good music, at least in my opinion. I wanted to make sure I had a little while at Morgan Marine by myself, so I was testing my luck with my speed. I was lucky in that I never had any sort of close encounter with police. Considering how much I drove on highways, I was a little surprised. Later on, though, I got to see someone else have an issue with the cops, but we’ll get to that. During my 90-minute drive north, things felt relaxed. I was thinking of all of the amazing things I had seen and done in the span of a week. That trip down memory lane was interrupted by a different feeling. In order to be ‘up’ for this final day, I began the morning with a slightly more potent energy drink. Within an hour of driving to the Finger Lakes, I knew I needed to find a bathroom. It became a battle between my desire to have some free time to shoot at Morgan Marine and my bladder telling me that wasn’t likely to happen. At one point I stopped my car to get a photo of an amazing view. I stopped right in the road. I very nearly took the chance to run into the grass to pee but wasn’t willing to risk it. The final leg of the drive was filled with a lot of leg bouncing just to keep my bladder distracted. Then, there it was, Morgan Marine. I made it. Before doing anything, I basically ran to the bathroom. Unfortunately, it was for members only and was locked. That was nearly the end for me, but I held it together and hustled over to the docks. There I asked a pair of teens who were working where the nearest bathroom was. I got pointed in the right direction, and within moments my nightmare was over. I calmly walked back to my car to grab my camera equipment to get some footage of the marina before everyone else arrived.


Yes I thought about running into the bushes to pee there.

5. Throughout my adventure on this movie shoot, I did my best to stay in the moment and appreciate all of the new experiences I was having. As excited as I was, and am, for The Cabin to be a finished product, I was more keen on enjoying each memory as it was being made. I could have easily sat in my car and waited for Mark and the rest of the crew to arrive at Morgan Marine. It was, after all, a 90-minute drive early in the morning. I knew I’d regret it, though. Instead, I wandered all over the docks of the marina, capturing video and photos. I had never been to the Finger Lakes. Even though it would be brief, I wanted to get as much footage as possible so that memories, and blogs like this, would be chock full of details. There were dozens of boats docked, but surprisingly very few people in them. It ended up being a ruse. Only later on, when we were there filming and needed the appearance of isolation, did boat after boat of people come cruising by. It was a pleasant morning with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the mid-60s. I wanted to stand and soak in all of the sights and sounds of the marina and Keuka Lake, but from in the distance I spotted the rest of the crew arriving, so it was time to get to work on the last scenes for The Cabin.


Some of the boats at Morgan Marine

6. In reality, we only needed a handful of scenes to be filmed. A few of them were on the docks, a few were in and around Mark’s boat, and a few were on the water. Luckily, when greeting the crew, I heard about us going out on the boat to shoot. I get terrible car and sea sickness, which is loads of fun. It leads to me doing most of the driving when going on any sort of road trip. It also means I need a fresh stock of Dramamine when I go on any car or boat adventure. I popped one pill and then hoped we’d take our time filming on the docks so that the meds had time to kick in. Cody, it turned out, wasn’t the biggest fan of the water. I offered him a Dramamine, but he said he’d be alright. As I just mentioned, only when we started filming did a seemingly endless stream of boats and even jet skis start to arrive and depart from the marina. The scenes are supposed to be in a very isolated area, so any sort of sound ruins the illusion. It was funny at one point I was filming behind the scenes, and Mark had to stop his own filming due to a plane going overhead. His giving the plane the middle finger had us all cracking up. Another laugh came when Jeff dropped his script on the dock, and a page went into the water. Fortunately, it was a scene we had already shot, so the sopping wet paper could be thrown away. The scenes on the docks went smoothly, so all that remained was getting some action shots out on the open water. By this time my Dramamine had kicked in, so I was itching to go. I just hoped Cody would be okay.


7. Keuka Lake is one of eleven lakes in the Finger Lake chain. It is unusual for its Y-shape. We were all the way at the northernmost tip of the eastern end of that Y shape. The lake is 20 miles long. I was hoping for a nice long cruise around but was also realistic. I knew we needed to get a few scenes on the water and that business came first. One scene included Jeff driving the boat. Mark had to get it going and then get out of the driver’s seat. Next, Jeff had to sit down and start driving carefully while also reciting his lines. My job was to sit, watch, and get some behind-the-scenes footage. I definitely had it easy. Once Mark got back to driving, we picked up speed and started cruising. I was thoroughly lost in the sights and sounds of Keuka Lake. I tried to get as many photos of as many lakeside properties as I could so I could remember the moments. It wasn’t lost on me just how much I had seen and done in such a short time. The airfield, the cabin, the university lab, the group dinners, the sunset chats in the front yard, and now a boat ride. There was so much to remember and talk about for so long to come. All good things do have to come to an end. After probably 20 minutes of cruising, we headed back to the marina. There was one final scene to be shot, and very fittingly I missed Mark saying ‘that’s a a wrap on The Cabin.’ I caught the last moment and had to then ask him to repeat himself, wicked smart. Jeff, Cody, and Michael headed back to dry land while I helped Mark put the cover on his boat. With each snap attaching the cover, I felt the reality sink in. My time on the movie shoot was ending. I knew it was meant to be a very full but also very fast shoot, but still it felt like it was over too soon. I savored each snap of that cover.


8. Despite the others quickly heading off to the parking lot, I knew they wouldn’t be going too far. One because Mark was driving at least some of them, and most of all because the end of the shoot meant it was time to dish out payments. This was a lot of fun. There I was pulling my bag out of the trunk of my rental car, whipping out my checkbook, and asking people how they spelled their last names. Without disclosing any numbers, because that would be lame, I will say that I ended up giving extra money to everyone who acted in the film. Seeing their hard work close up inspired me and made me feel like they deserved a little more than Mark and I had originally agreed upon. One by one, I wrote checks. I shook each person’s hand and thanked them for being a part of this project. I truly meant it. I had wanted to be a filmmaker since high school. I had written The Cabin book in 2008. So, standing there on the shore of Keuka Lake after wrapping filming and looking at these people who had chosen to be a part of the film, it was humbling and left me full of gratitude. Mark joked that I was setting the bar high with extra pay and all of the thanks. When the time comes to do a second feature film, I will still have that same level of gratitude. I hope I never lose it.


9. It was time for us all to go our separate ways. Being smart, I ran to the bathroom one last time. I watched Mark and the rest of the crew begin the return trip south to Pennsylvania. I, on the other hand, was staring at one of the longest drives of my life. Mark had said that driving to Keuka Lake would leave me 90 minutes closer to Cape Cod when it was time to leave. This was not the case. I actually was 90 minutes further away. It was nearly ten hours straight through. I needed a break somewhere in the middle. It was then that I realized that a spot I had wanted to visit for years was literally right on my drive home. It was the Saville Dam in Barkhamsted, Connecticut. This was only 5 ½ hours away and would allow me a built-in break to stretch my legs and get some long-awaited photos. It was just before 1 pm when I threw the address into my GPS, also remembering to avoid toll roads, and rolled out of the Morgan Marine parking lot to begin the very, very long drive back to Cape Cod.


10. I headed southeast through the rolling hills of Western New York. In an interesting twist, I ended up not seeing any deer on my long drives to and from Pennsylvania. When I had done a 6-day, 2,100-mile road trip around the Eastern U.S. in 2019, I saw so many deer in New York and Pennsylvania that it was akin to seeing squirrels along the roads on Cape Cod. What I did see a lot of on this particular drive was Pennsylvania Dutch people. I don’t believe they are specifically Amish. These folks were dressed in 18th-century garb and rode on the sides of the roads using horses and buggies. Even if I didn’t see the buggies, I knew they had been by since there were nonstop piles of horse poop all over the roads. It was truly unique to see what probably added up to a dozen such vehicles within the span of an hour. If I had not been at the start of such a long drive, I might have been tempted to stop at one of their roadside stores, but my rental car needed to be returned by 9am the following morning, and I had no plans of spending more money on another hotel stay. It was Cape Cod or bust, Pennsylvania Dutch or not.


11. When undertaking such a long drive, it is important to stay awake and alert. This is obvious. But how do you do it? Music, podcasts, and having a passenger are all good ideas. I tend to break things down into smaller bites. I’d use my GPS to break the trip down into chapters based around each new command. There were, however, long stretches of time where I had to force myself to pay attention. Much of the highways in New York and Pennsylvania were as rural as the road out to the cabin where we filmed. There was beautiful scenery everywhere, but sometimes no other vehicles in either direction. Then came the defining moment of my drive. In a patch of busier highway, I saw a car coming up on me. I was in the slow lane, just enjoying the drive. This car was speeding, and I knew this because a state trooper pulled behind them and put their lights on. I was both happy and sad since it wasn’t me, but that car was going to get pulled over. Or so I thought. Now, I don’t know about you, but if a cop puts their lights on behind me, I pull over as soon as possible. That’s kind of the point. I didn’t measure the distance, but I’d have to say that the car behind me drove for well over a mile without pulling over. Maybe they didn’t see immediately, but after going on two minutes, there was no way that person didn’t know a cop was on their tail. I was saying out loud that they needed to pull over. The cop was not happy and pulled into the other lane, right up alongside the car. They must have yelled and pointed because moments later the car pulled over. I don’t know how long you have to keep driving while a cop is on you with their lights going to qualify as fleeing, but this car had to have been close. I do not want to know how much their tickets were because I am assuming the cop gave them more than one because they were pissed off.


12. The drive back to Cape Cod was sunny and pleasant. It was a far cry from the monsoon that I drove through to get to Pennsylvania. The only times that I got off the highway were to use a bathroom at a rest area and then to find dinner. One thing that was a good and bad discovery while I was on this trip was the fact that I could use Venmo to pay for food. When I open the app on my phone, it is now littered with payments to McDonald's, because they are everywhere. For dinner, I stopped at a McDonald’s in the small town of Valatie, New York. It has less than 2,000 people and is about 20 miles south of Albany. I noticed that prices are somewhat lower for a lot of things in Pennsylvania and New York compared to Cape Cod. Saving a few dollars on food was good after the rental car, hotel, and other expenses of a week-long movie shoot. I sat in the parking lot just after 4pm, listened to a podcast, and did some people-watching as a way to recalibrate before continuing on the long drive home. By this point, I had already driven over four hours and nearly 250 miles and was still about 90 minutes from Saville Dam. There was no rush; I knew I had plenty of sunlight left in the day. Before getting back on the highway, I stopped and got gas at a Stewart’s Shops, which was right down the street. This was another place I’d never been. It’s a chain of convenience stores with more than 400 locations in New York, New Hampshire, and Vermont. After eating dinner, though, I had no desire to go inside and buy any food, so it was just gas up and go. Sorry, Stewart’s, you weren’t that important to me.


Here is the Stewart's Shops in Valatie, NY.

13. The anticipation built as I got closer to the Saville Dam. My fascination with the spot has lasted for years after seeing numerous photos of it on Instagram. Being about 3 ½ hours from Cape Cod, a drive out there wasn’t a quick trip, so it had to wait. Visiting it was the unexpected cherry on top of the sundae that was an incredible week. It was just after 7pm when I arrived. There was still a little time until sunset, leaving me plenty of opportunity to get all of the photos I wanted. I parked at the west end of the dam because it was the first parking spot I saw. If I had gone across to the eastern end, I would have been better prepared for the surprise that awaited me. In a public place, you have no control over who will be there or what they might do. I understand this. But there’s a big difference between families with screaming kids and what I saw here. At Saville Dam, closing in on 7:30pm on a Sunday, there were at least ten cars parked along the road in front of the beautiful gatehouse, which is the main photo point of the area. These cars were all owned by young people, probably in their late teens and early 20s. Oh, but they weren’t just parked. No, they were each taking turns racing by the gatehouse like a single-sided drag race. These idiots had no concern for any normal people who might have been driving that road or stopping to get photos of the area. I did my best to get all of the footage I needed. I can always overlay nature sounds on the video and mute the stupid cars. I stayed there for about 30 minutes, and by the time I left, it was almost dark, but the kids and their cars were still there. It was a weird mix because the Saville Dam itself was exactly as cool as I’d hoped, but the noise and foolish idiots racing there made it so I didn’t enjoy it as much as I might have if they weren’t. After sharing a few photos of the gatehouse on social media, it was time for the final push back to Cape Cod. 3 ½ hours of driving in the dark lay ahead of me.


The gatehouse at Saville Dam

14. I fully enjoyed driving the Honda Accord I rented. It had a lot of tech upgrades that my Toyota Corolla doesn’t have. There were LED headlights that turn from bright to normal depending on whether there’s a vehicle coming toward you. It felt good to finally give people a taste of their own medicine, seeing as how I have been getting blinded by LED headlights for years. They should be illegal. I enjoyed having the song display right in front of me along with the speed, plus the lane departure warning came in handy as it got later in the night. It also had a device charging pad located right under the radio. This was a great feature, but when you’re trying to see the GPS display and your phone is lying down, it became a bit annoying, so I didn’t use the charger as much as I thought. The next morning I filled the gas tank as is expected when you rent a car, and it made me even happier that I rented an Accord. Yes, the fill-up was a lot of money since gas probably costs double what it should currently, but it could have been much worse if I had been a fool and gone for the SUVs. I say that because the basic rental price of an SUV is less per day than a typical sedan, but you end up getting gouged on the gas. In the end, I would definitely rent that same type of Honda Accord again. Who knows, maybe when my Corolla is finally ready to be put to pasture (hopefully not for a few more years), I will buy one of those Accords as my next car.


15. The night drive through Connecticut, Rhode Island, and finally into Massachusetts was a war of attrition. I was just trying to make it home in one piece. In a funny twist, after seeing the Saville Dam for the first time, I ended up passing another spot that’s been on my New England photo bucket list. Jerimoth Hill in Foster, Rhode Island, is the highest point in the state. I have wanted to try to visit the highest points in all six New England states. So far I have visited exactly one, Mount Greylock in Massachusetts. I passed the sign for Jerimoth Hill at probably close to 10pm so I wasn’t going to hike to the top in the dark. Granted, it’s only about 811 feet high, but I’m not going to wander around a place like that in the dead of night. For a moment, I had thought that I put ‘avoid highways’ on my GPS because I seemed to be on a lot of local roads rather than highways. Finally, I found I-195 in Rhode Island, and it was smooth sailing home. I pulled into the driveway at 11pm. I had left Keuka Lake around 12:30pm. Yes, I stopped to pee, get gas, eat, and shoot the Saville Dam, but still it ended up being more than ten hours of almost nothing but driving. In total, I put more than 1,200 miles on that Honda Accord I rented. My Corolla at present needs some exhaust work and probably a few other smaller things. I couldn’t imagine having tried to pull that trip off in it. I’d probably have left it in a field near one of those horror houses in rural Pennsylvania.


16. I made it inside carrying all of my luggage in one trip. It was about all my body could handle. Even after driving for so long, I knew that I needed to take a few minutes to put everything away before simply collapsing into bed. I unpacked and drank some water. The next morning I needed to return my rental car by 9am. Only when I was about 7 hours into my drive home did I regret that decision. It all worked out for the best, though, as I saved money on an extra day of rental fees, plus however much I’d have needed to spend on a hotel room. The night ended the way most of my time on the movie shoot had; I did all I could, knowing that I’d have time to reminisce and enjoy it later. All of the photos, videos, and memories would be waiting for me in the morning. I had made it home after a marathon drive and a marathon week that felt like it had a month of memories crammed into it.


It was a pretty good week.

No comments: